In this issue of ColdFusion conference and training news:
* Hal Helms is unable to attend CFUNITED-06
* Hostmysite raffle off XBOX 360 at the main event!
* CFDynamics Attendee Get Together... RSVP is a must!
* User Group Manager Meeting Tuesday June 27th
* CLASS NEWS: Testing ColdFusion by John Paul Ashenfelter AND Paul Kenney
* REGISTRATION PACKAGE -ONLINE COPY
* CFLive - Thursday 12:30pm - Nate Nelson More Advanced SQL Programming
* Interview with Raymond Camden - Introduction to ColdFusion Components

SEE ALL RECENT CFUNITED NEWS AND PAST. Get CFUNITED news fast as soon as
it is posted! Subscribe to
our blog today! RSS feed or email.
http://www.cfunited.com/blog/

CFUNITED is the premier ColdFusion Conference near
Washington DC 6/28-7/1/06 (Four whole days!)
Check out speakers and topics at http://www.cfunited.com/

- Michael Smith
TeraTech, Inc

"It is the largest conference for CF targeted specifically for
developers. It is run by developers
for developers. I can learn from other developers real world experience
and real user case studies
so I can see what my collegues at other organizations are doing. And it
is just a great time to be
had by all."
-Barbara ONeal, Conference Alumni

Conference and training news
****************************

* Upcoming TeraTech classes
Cost $349 see http://www.teratech.com/training/ for more details and
registration
FB101 - Intro to Fusebox        Sep 12 2006
FB201 - Intermediate Fusebox    Sep 19 2006
CF102 - Intro to ColdFusion     Sep 26 2006
CF201 - Intermediate ColdFusion Oct 10 2006
CS201H - CSS hands on           TBA

* Pre-conference classes
Cost $449 see http://www.cfunited.com/classes06.cfm for more details and
registration
Location: Bethesda North Marriott and Conference Center

CFUNITED NEWS!
* Hal Helms is unable to attend CFUNITED-06
Unfortunately Hal Helms will be unable to join us this year and we are
working to replace his talks
with Speakers like Simon Horwith, Nick Tunney, Jeff Peters, and Sean
Corfield. More information
coming soon. We apologize if our event materials do not reflect the last
minute changes.

* HostMySite.com is giving raffle participants the chance to win an XBOX
360! Stop by the Thursday
Evening Event for chances to win even more great prizes.
See what other prizes sponsors are giving away! www.cfunited.com/prizes.cfm

* LAST CHANCE!
You are invited to attend the official pre-CFUNITED dinner and
networking event, hosted by
CFDynamics, the premier coldfusion web hosting company.
The event will be held on Tuesday, June 27 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Dave
& Buster’s Restaurant,
located at 11301 Rockville Pike, 3rd Floor, North Bethesda, Maryland.

Please join us for a night of socializing, billiards and fantastic food
and drinks!  The cost will
be $30 per person.  Please R.S.V.P. to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if
you are planning on attending.
The dinner will consist of six delicious entrees with a cash bar and all
you can play billiards.
We’ll have tons of prizes and giveaways, so be sure to RSVP now & you’ll
receive a BONUS raffle
ticket!
We hope to see you there!
RSVP this week to ensure your seat at the event!

* User Group Manager Meeting Tuesday June 27th
http://www.cfconf.org/ug_managers_2006/
Why come to this meeting?
"I’ve attended the UG managers meeting the past couple of years. Not
only do you pick up valuable
ideas for how to run your group better, broaden its appeal and liven up
the meetings, but you also
get to hang with some of the quirkiest characters in the community. It
takes some special qualities
to be a UG manager and believe me, these folks are, um, special! If you
are coming to CFUnited, you
need to make space in your schedule for the UG managers meeting."
~Bob Flynn

* CLASS NEWS: Just in, The CU213_6-26-06 Testing ColdFusion taught John
Paul Ashenfelter will also
be taught by Paul Kenney who actually wrote cfcunit!
sign up today! www.cfunited.com/classes06.cfm

* REGISTRATION PACKAGE -ONLINE COPY
Hi Attendees! Most of you have received your registration packages. If
not, DON'T WORRY! We have a
copy of everyone's badge and t-shirt on site. It is easy for us to hand
you the materials you need
to be checked in to the event. For those of you who do have your
packages, have your badge ready
for a quicker entrance. Thanks!
View the registration package online
http://www.cfunited.com/AttendeePage.cfm

* 76% of our Pre-Conference Classes are full. Be sure to reserve your
seat today!
http://www.cfunited.com/classes06.cfm

* 853 people are already registered for CFUNITED-06!

*CFLive
Hear CFUNITED speakers from your office via breeze talks every Thursday
12:30pm - 1pm EST. Learn
new tips and ask questions live. See past talks
http://www.cfunited.com/breeze_talks.cfm or
download via Podcast http://www.cfunited.com/blog/cflivepodcast.xml

CFLive! Nate Nelson More Advanced SQL Programming
Thursday, June 22, 12:30 PM US/Eastern
Thursday, June 29 Live from show
Link will be available soon www.cfunited.com/breeze_talks.cfm

* Only 6 days left until CFUNITED!!!!

* Can't afford to come for 4 days? Or can't take time off work during the
   week? Come to our Saturday only CFUNITED event. Or watch via web
video after the event.

And now our CFUNITED spotlight interview.
Michael Smith: This time we are talking with Raymond Camden about his
CFUNITED-06
talk "Introduction to ColdFusion Components". So why should a developer
come to your session
Raymond?

Raymond Camden: ColdFusion Components are really the main way a
developer can take his or her code
to the "next level" of development. In this extended session I will
cover both the syntax as well
as show numerous examples and suggestions for using CFCs.

MS: How will my code be better if I use CFCs?

RC: Beginning developers tend to rebuild code they have used before.
They do this because their
earlier code wasn't properly abstracted, so it's not reusable. CFCs are
one way within ColdFusion
to reuse code.

MS: What do you mean by "abstracted" - that sounds complex!

RC: It really isn't. Here is a simple example. The total value of a
shopping cart is each line
items unit price times the quantity. That is one simple business rule.
However - you use this logic
in multiple places on your site. You "abstract" it by simply packaging
it up into one file. Then
every place that needs this logic calls that file. Let's then say that
on Mondays you want a 10%
deduction applied to the total. If you modify that one file, every place
that uses it will see the
new logic.

MS: So are CFC hard to learn?

RC: Like most things in ColdFusion, they are easy. Using them right
though takes a bit of time.
Once you learn the basic syntax, there is a lot of thinking that needs
to take place on how to
organize them.

MS: What tags do I need to use to write a basic CFC?

RC: There a few basic tags and functions. They are , , ,
, , , createObject(), and I'm sure I forgot one or two. The
CFML behind CFCs really aren't that complicated.

MS: Is there anything people need to know before they come to your talk?

RC: Nope!

MS: Will you have any code sample or demos in your talk?

RC: Heck yes.

MS: Cool - see you at CFUNITED!

CFUNITED-06 is Wed 6/28/06 - Sat 7/1/06 in Bethesda MD, just outside
Washington DC.
It costs $649 until 1/31/06 then $749. For more information on CFUNITED see
http://www.cfunited.com/

---
Introduction to ColdFusion Components
*************************
This three hour session will delve into the basics of building
ColdFusion Components (CFCs) as well
as discuss various methods of CFC development. We will have many
examples that you can take home
with you to help you start building your first site with CFCs!

Speaker Bio:
Raymond Camden is the Director of Development for Mindseye, Inc. A long
time ColdFusion user,
Raymond is a member of Team Macromedia and one of the managers of the
Acadiana MMUG. Raymond is a
co-author of the Mastering ColdFusion series published by Sybex Inc, the
ColdFusion MX Developer's
Handbook, and a co-author to the "ColdFusion Web Application
Construction Kit". He also presents at
numerous conferences and contributes to online webzines. He is a
contributor and technical editor
of the ColdFusion Developer's Journal. He and Rob Brooks-Bilson created
and run the Common Function
Library Project, an open source repository of ColdFusion UDFs. You can
reach him at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Raymond’s blog is at http://ray.camdenfamily.com.
* Speakers include top names like Simon Horwith, Charlie Arehart,
  Michael Dinowitz, Ray Camden, Ben Forta and many more respected
  CF authors and presenters.

* Great tracks:
   * Bootcamp - Basic ColdFusion and Flash topics
   * Advanced - Advanced ColdFusion topics
   * Manager/Empowered - Fusebox and Project management topics
   * Flex/RIA - Flash, Flex and other technologies integrated with CF topics
   * Accessibility / usability - section 508, CSS and disabled access
   * Deployment/Platform - tuning, install issues, OS, picking a database

* Included in your full conference registration is the following:

     * Attendance for 4 days (6/28/2006-7/1/2006)
     * Keynote and General Sessions
     * All conference sessions including repeat sessions on Saturday
     * Entrance to Expo Area
     * Networking Events
     * Badge and Badge holder with bar scan code
     * Free Lunch for each show day (Dinner is not included)
     * Access to all presentations after the event, including all the
recordings.
     * Promotional bag with materials including show guide, CD, coupons,
etc.
     * Opportunity to participate in all raffle drawings

* Can't stay 4 days Wed - Sat? Optional 3-day and Saturday only packages
   available too. Saturday will consist of repeats the most popular
sessions
   from the week - something many attendees asked for last year!

* The price is $849 for all four days of CFUNITED-06

Price expires            4-day   3-day   Saturday-only
Early Bird   01/31/2006  $649    $549    $249
Timely Bird  03/31/2006  $749    $649    $299
Regular      06/16/2006  $849    $749    $349
Late         06/28/2006  $949    $849    $399
Door         06/29/2006  $1049   $949    $449

Be one of the first 850 registrations and you will get the Awesome
Laptop Bookbag instead of the
average tote.

Register today at
    http://www.cfunited.com/

--
Michael Smith, TeraTech Inc - Tools for Programmers(tm)
TeraTech voted Best Consulting Service by CFDJ readers!