> We have an application that allows users to specify (at initial setup time)
> to specify what kind of metadata they want to enter when they work with
> digital media within the application. For example, one user may want to
> upload a bunch of Word doc files and then enter a set of metadata (say
> Title, Description, Source, Location, etc.). Another user may want to enter
> a combination of images, docs and movie files and then enter a different set
> of metadata (say Title, Description, Period, Style, Location, Dates,
> Sequence, etc.) If we go the traditional database route, this would involve
> lots of dynamically named fields which I envision as really messy. We think
> that storing these individual metadata sets as XML data (keyed to ID fields
> in the db)  would be the way to go. Does anybody have any
> experience/thoughts on this approach?

I think the key question is, what are you going to use the metadata for?

If you are going to want to use metadata fields for searching/sorting/analysis,
I would go with the traditional database route. This is what we do in our CMS. A
little complicated maybe - you need a lot of tables to get a really flexible
solution -  but not messy.

If the metadata of each set of objects is of interest only as a sort of guide to
that set of objects in isolation once retrieved from the repository, and
particularly since you mention Sequence, then your idea is a bit reminiscent of
a "manifest" file that you attach to objects in an object packaging scheme like
IMS Content Packaging, which is a desperately complicated e-learning
interoperability standard but you might be interested in some of the concepts:

http://www.imsproject.org/content/packaging/cpinfo10.html
http://www.imsproject.org/metadata/mdbest01.html

Nick