From: Mike Kear [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, 01 July 2006 00:03
To: CF-Talk
Subject: For me a seismic shift in browsers

I know that everyone's audience is slightly different, and my own experience
is no more than my own experience - doesnt necessarily reflect the internet
population as a whole but i was looking at the site stats on my two
highest-traffic sites today and saw that for the first time i can ever
recall, IE doesnt account for the vast majority of traffic.

Until now, on those two sites, IE has accounted for at least 2/3 to
3/4 of the traffic.   For so long, IE's percentage was in the 90s.
Now today, i see the last 30 days shows as follows:

IE:                      52.5%
Bots,Spiders       28.3%
Firefox:                11.2%
Safari                    3.2%
Unknown:              3.1%
All  the rest:           1.7%

Now I know that these figures only represent my own audience,  and IE is
still the most used browser by quite  a long chalk, but it does signify a
shift of quite large proportions in my traffic.

Had I not taken a decision a couple of  years ago to design for standards
first, then to adjust for IE later, i'd be scrambling now to redo a lot of
my sites.

In fact my site with the oldest design, the last done before i started to
build with standards has the lowest percentage of non-IE traffic.
It looks crap in Firefox, because it was never designed with standards in
mind.  And I think it indicates that poor design for that browser has
resulted in my  driving away traffic.

So now the pressure is on to redesign it using XHTML and CSS to strict
standards so it looks good in the full range of browsers.

No longer can I say "well the vast majority of the users have IE and
the rest are basically insignificant."    And i suspect the same is
true for a great many web sites owners.
--
Cheers
Mike Kear