I don't think you can do file uploads with AJaX.  I believe it's a
security issue.  At least, I've never found a way.  Not using a POST
method, anyway.  I've tried using Prototype and had no luck
whatsoever.  Working with input-file is one of the most secured,
anti-scripting operations in the browser.  Only the browser itself has
access to the file and can encode the file in the posted request.

If you get this to work, please post back to the list.  I'd love to
hear how you made it happen - including code snippets if possible.