XP Pro/CFMX7/mySQL5

I haven't messed with mySQL lately, but I need to start using it again. I
noticed the mySQL DSN's no longer worked on my dev machine.

Whenever I try using the JDBC driver, I get an error:
Connection verification failed for data source: test2
java.sql.SQLException: Communication failure during handshake. Is there a
server running on localhost:3307?
The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Communication failure during
handshake. Is there a server running on localhost:3307?

I'm positive my settings are correct and the db server is running. After
googling the error, I came across a technote dealing with this issue, followed
the directions line by line ..... still no joy! Same error!

The only way I can make a mySQL dsn work is to

1. Create the dsn thru windows adminstrative tools.

2. Create the dsn in CF admin via ODBC, pointing it to the one I created in
windows.

This tests successful, but I'm irritated I can't make it work thru JDBC.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Will