Ask yourself if you really need layer 3 or higher.  That's going to get
expensive.  Maybe you can accomplish what you want using your
router/firewall and/or vlans?  Gigabit may be overkill if the servers are
only talking to the Internet.

I have good luck with adtran Netvanta products - great warranty and support.
Solid conservative designs.
Dell switches are made by a variety of companies including netgear
Some people like netgear, but they look at them as being "disposable".  As
in, have one ready in the wings in case it dies.  They have performance on
par with more expensive brands.
I also hear good things about HP procurve line.  A lot of people go this way
instead of Cisco.
Extreme makes an incredible, but expensive product.  If you say "cisco" to
your extreme sales person they will beat cisco prices.  You can get about
anything you need in the Extreme line-up of products.
Nortel makes a solid product.
3com is an option.  Most 3com products are made by Huawei and Huawei will be
a major telecom player within the decade.  I dropped 3com because of their
new support policies and pricing.

-Nate