Rick Faircloth wrote:
> How can a phishing email be sent from [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?  How can
> the PayPal.com domain be used if their email servers are set up correctly?

If you're looking at the "FROM:" field in your emailer's UI, then anyone
can write anything there, agreed.

But most of the phishing scams I've seen have been revealed by looking
at the first (bottom-most) "RECEIVED:" field in the message headers.
This shows the actual domain from which the message was sent. (How can
you see email headers? It varies with the emailer you use, and whether
you accept HTML-formatted email or display everything as ASCII. Examples
of reading headers are at http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html .)

If you find that the spam actually lists your own domain in there, then
that usually implies a security breach at your end. But most of these
cases are just a message from evilGreedy.org with a FROM: field listing
a good person's name and domain. Emailers have been created with certain
problems like this... the acceptance of tons of quoted sigs in an
outbound message is another such design flaw in email software. It'd be
easy for email software to compare the originating domain with the
professed domain....

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd