From: Roger Benningfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 3:14 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Creating RSS feeds

Ben: A few things to consider...

(1) Make sure your rss:titles are plain-text + XML entities... aggregators
will do unpredictable things with HTML in a title, due to the spec's silence
on the matter.

(2) Aggregators will expect your rss:descriptions to be escaped HTML, so
code accordingly.

(3) Most web-based aggregators and many of their desktop cousins will strip
potentially dangerous HTML from your rss:descriptions and other elements. So
if you want to style your text, you'll need to use Ye Olde <font> and avoid
@style attributes.

(4) Make sure you get the RFC-822 date format correct in your feed... lots
of first-timers fudge things up a bit and end up with unparseable
timestamps.

(5) The rss:guid element encourages you to use an entry's permalink as the
id. If your URIs are really nice from the outset, that may be fine... but if
you're the type who tinkers with his code a lot, I'd advise setting
@isPermaLink to false and sticking a unique, opaque string in there instead.
Otherwise, you're going to fiddle with your blog code one day and
accidentally spam a bunch of aggregators with dozens of duplicate entries.

--
Roger Benningfield
JournURL