Typically if you ever have DB developers managing tables or if your data
layer is truly separate from your other layers, then in theory, your
tables could change (i.e., someone could add more columns that you
*don't* need) at any time.  If you were using select *, then you will
retrieve unnecessary columns without knowing it.

Additionally, I believe it's faster for the SQL engines to parse
explicit column names instead of *.

It's also more readable for someone else to explicitly know what is
being retrieved in a query when debugging or examining code.