Heres a real world scenario I've come across:

Code throughout the app is using data returned from a query that has
select *, and pulls data from more than one table.
Someone adds a column to one of the tables in the query that has the
same name as a column in another of the tables in the query.

CF now returns a query with 2 columns named the same and your data is
funked up all over the site because using query.columnname is
referencing the wrong column.