What I find most helpful when buying consumer electronics has always been to
dig up a copy Consumer Reports. They always have a table that lists the
competing products with a side by side comparison feature sets or even when
the feature I need even exists or not.

Similarly when choosing with CF tool to use (ie CFAJAX, AJAXCFC, JSMX
etc...)., I often use the same approach- but doing the side by side list on
my own. After that, my first criteria in the decision process has always
been to jump into the HoF archives, and know who is using what (ie what most
CF gods use, and you know who you are  ;-)) and what the general consensus
and bias are from the CF Community at large.  Consensus does weigh-in quite
a bit.  I expect no "best" at something, but rather what has already been
proven in a given real world scenario.

Once I have narrowed into the tool that ranks high on my list, only then
does FAQs, implementation How-to's, and Cookbooks become a big part of the
decision process.

It would definitely be helpful if there is a place for that side-by-side
list.

My 2 cents.

Michael