B V wrote:
> clickatell looks interesting, and I am hosted on HMS like you said, so
> gateways would also be good...... What do you mean by 'async'? I'm not too
> familiar with gateways.......... Thanks..

clickatell (and several other aggregators) doesn't support sending multiple SMS
via the submit_multiple PDU which is where one "command" to their SMPP server
sends SMS to multiple devices (phones). you end up having to send each SMS
individually. this is also the case if you need to track the SMS & have to get
message ID back. while the cf SMS gateway is pretty fast, the SMPP server on
the
other end might not be (i've seen 1 SMS per second), so your app will have to
sit & wait for the SMPP server to send each SMS & return a message ID. handing
this whole mess off to cf's asynchronous gateway is super fast for the main
application. the asynch gateway will handle sending the SMS in the background
while the main app/user goes on to do something else. you have to be careful
about this though, you can flatten the server on the other end fairly easily.