From: Jim Davis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 9:54 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Microsoft Virtual PC / Should I be interested, or not?

Yup... both server and standard.

My home development box is a VPC Server host: one big box, lots of little
(virtual) servers.

Until I got him a dedicated box I also used VPC in a lifesaving application:
to run a dedicated Windows 98 instance to install all the crappy games that
my toddler son demanded.  It saved my ass when "Thomas and the Magic
Annoying Choo-Choo" decided it NEEDED to run at 256 colors at 640x480 and
uninstalled DirectX to do it.

For business use I've got a large collection of VPCs: all versions of
Windows, several Linux distros and some oddballs (BeOS... just for kicks).
I've also got a VPC with a second Windows XP license just to install my work
software and keep it from infecting my actual PC (Lotus Notes, DB2 Client,
etc).  VPCs are good network citizens and I can happily VPN to the office
from with in the VPC.

All that said I've found no significant differences between VPC and VMWare:
they both do exactly what they say they're going to do and both do it
exceedingly well.

What I really want is for one of them to allow OS X as a guest OS...

Jim Davis