Thanks for the info, Mary Jo...

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Jo Sminkey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 6:15 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: shopping cart integration

>You might want to check out PayPal's Website Payments Pro. It's a
>fairly new offering from PayPal and it may do what you want. Customers
>don't leave your web site. From what I can tell, it doesn't require you
>to have a credit card merchant account or to have to use a separate
>payment gateway system like Authorizenet.

While it's true that the Direct Pay portion of Payments Pro does not leave
your website, PayPal does require that you also use Express Checkout which
does take the customer to their site if you sign up for Payments Pro.
Basically, they don't want to just process payments, they want that free
advertising where your website has a "easy payments through PayPal" button
on it. Now, I'm sure many individual sites that use Payments Pro just ignore
that requirement and use Direct Pay only but they are in violation of the
licensing by doing so. Not sure how well PayPal polices this part of the
policy, and I can say that the Express Checkout is a real pain to do. It
requires no less than 3 separate SOAP transactions to their server,
sometimes more, and it sends the customer over to their site and then back
to yours. And hides their billing information so you're out of luck if you
intend to save this information. I would say PayPal is one of the harder
methods to get working *if* you want the customer to complete orders on your
site. It's fine if you are happy with just a simple button on your site that
sends them over to PayPal to complete the transaction and doesn't need to do
any more. But to fully integrate PayPal into a true ecommerce site is pretty
complicated and guaranteed to cause a fair amount of hair-pulling. ;-)

Mary Jo Sminkey
http://www.cfwebstore.com
CFWebstore, ColdFusion E-commerce