Hey there Dave. Just a thought here...

Since the MDB was touched by two different versions of Access (which may have
performed a Brundle-Fly maneuver on it), what I would try is this:

1. Make note of any steps you can do that are known to produce the error.
You'll need these in final testing after we attempt this fix.
2. make a copy of the original MDB as is right now and set it aside just in
case;
3. Using Access, open the MDB and choose Tools->Database Utilities ->Convert
Database, and convert it to Access 2002 (moving it back to the least common
Access version denominator).
4. Having no MDB open, choose Tools ->Database Utilities ->Convert Database,
and select the MDB that was created in the previous step, choosing now to
convert it to Access 2003.
5. Step 4 will create yet ANOTHER copy of the MDB, only this time it should be
pure 2003. If all steps went smoothly thus far without any intimidating errors
or messages, take this copy and put it in place behind your CF app.
6. Conduct tests to see if you can produce the error again. If not, I'd watch
it close for a day or two and if no issues arise, consider it fixed.