Or, give them the ability to sort the list the way THEY want it (by
song title, by artist, by release date, by other people's rankings,
etc.)

And I like the 1-5 ranking (with a zero being "unmarked").

I can picture a gmail-like star set (5 of them), that you click on,
one for each row. (Also like the rating system in itunes).