I do this as well, my first version of it stored the table information in
the application scope so I only did that one query.  The second version
though I changed to just do a query for table information before any
insert/updates because found the hit to the database system tables just was
not hurting performance enough to even measure it.  I had thought about
expanding it to build my CRUD screens but just have not bothered since we
still use a old set of in-house custom tags for the CRUD.

What I like about this approach is if you change a column size in the DB you
do not have to worry about changing any of the insert/update pages.  Or if I
had a new column to the DB, all I do is add it to the one config page for
the table that the CRUD system uses.

Doesn't the onTap framework help to allow for the easy development of CRUD
pages?