I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to detect a if a field selected
from an Oracle database is a BLOB? (using CFMX 6.1) My problem is that we are
trying to migrate a database over to MySQL from Oracle and due to a lack of
inexpensive migration tools (I'd be perfectly happy to be proven wrong here!)
since it's a one-off, and a freebie for a long term client.

Anyway, one of my co-workers got the table strcutures duplicated into MySQL
using some arcane ritual, but of course it's left the primary key info etc
behind, that's all fine , but we couldn't migrate the data itself. We've tried
several tools to no avail, so I bit the bullet and wrote a quick CF file that
accepts a list of tablenames, loops through them and selects everything from
each table - loading that info row-by-row into form variables which have the
same name as the columns from that table, I'm then triggering a cfinsert of
this info into the MySQL version of the DB before moving onto the next row
etc...

The problem is this: It works like a charm, isn't even that slow considering
the volume of data, BUT, any Oracle BLOBs take on a random bit of garabge at
the start of their chunk of data as they're inserted into MySQL TEXT fields,
they're fine when they get assigned to the form variable for them - I've output
this value and checked it, it must be happening during the cfinsert - I'm just
wondering if there's any way I can encode them first? or do we need to go
through the MySQL db before running the import and change the TEXT fields to
something else?

Any help is much appreciated! And sorry for the novella!

Aegis
-- www.legalwarfare.com