> Wouldn't this be taken care of if I copy the entire wwwroot
> content (minus the CFIDE) to the built-in server's wwwroot?

Not necessarily. All the files would be there, but you may have some code
which relies on knowing a complete filesystem path - that would be different
when you move the files.

> The desire is to keep the production content available
> uninterrupted and have testing and modification done on the
> built-in server.  When done testing, run the Web Server
> Configuration Tool, copy the CFIDE from the test environment
> to the production wwwroot, and copy all changed content to
> their places in the production wwwroot.  Your thoughts?  Is
> the built-in server not capable of doing everything I hope to
> do for getting code tested and upgraded?

There are a lot of things that could go wrong. For example, if you have some
code that causes a significant amount of resources to be consumed by CF 7,
your production content may not be able to be served simply because there
aren't enough CPU cycles, etc, to do both. In addition, it's generally a bad
idea to make your production environment more complicated, which is what
you're doing by putting your development environment on the same machine.
Finally, your applications may rely upon some specific functionality of your
web server. But yes, barring any serious failures or oversights, the
built-in server is certainly capable of letting you test your code.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/