On 8/15/06, Barney Boisvert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As you can imagine, that's a LOT slower than a simple scan of the
> directory.  In your case, it's greatly affected by the fact that
> network files are handled differently than local files.  Specifically,
> the filenames (which is all your Java used) are cached, but all the
> nitty gritty (size, last mod date, etc) probably isn't, or at least
> not as aggressively.  As such, getting that data is very expensive.
> With all-local access you should still see a performance difference,
> but it should be much smaller.

Actually, even with a java.io.FileFilter, the java method is quite a bit
slower than cfdirectory, if doing recursion and sizes, etc..

Somehow I'm thinking that cfdirectory is some java that uses "native"
FS stuff vs. java FS stuff, but I'm no java guru, and don't really know.

Your blog entry got me thinking, ages ago.  Never posted the results,
did I? Sheesh, I'm weeeeeeaaaak! I don't even know where I put that...

Guess the answer is, for recursion, something native, or cfdir; otherwise,
java is WAY faster (for just a list file names for a given dir).

:den