The problem is that the original query I had for query1 returned a value
sometimes, because it was doingn something like

If not exists
  Select tableid from table where somefield=#somevalue#
Begin
  Insert into table (somefield) values (#somevalue#)
  Select @@identity as tableid
End

Which was returning a value when the record wasn't previously in the db, but
I have fixed is since to return a value in both instances.

Russ