I have had the same experience. I have the Enterprise DevNet Edition
(multiserver installation) and used "-deploy" intending to send it to a
server with CFMX7 Standard installed. But when I tested moving the site I
found out the bad news.

Have a look in the compiled code for paths. The compiler is probably
hard-coding all the paths (even ones which I had deliberately set as
variables) to suit only the location of the Web site where the compiler was
run.

I posted about this a short while ago but no one was interested enough to
reply. I was too busy to follow up. Not sure if it is intended behavior for
the compiler or not. I got the impression from promotional that I could
compile and then deploy the bytecode to other servers running CF from
reading the instructions etc.

I would like to see a lot more information about this. I would also like
more information about how CF generates and manages class files under
different circumstances. I recently had the experience of needing to restart
the server to get CF to recognise some changes in source code. I had turned
off caching in Administrator and manually deleted the class files and I
think restarted services as well but I couldn't get a a variable to change
that was stored in an application scope variable. I am not saying that I
think this is a bug or anything. It was involved situation, and I would have
appreciated some background knowledge of how CFServer was going to behave.

It would be nice to know the decision making flow for generating the class
files. Somebody on this list recently pointed out that if you have a very
large number of class files it is faster for CF Server to generate them on
the fly than to search for a cached one. I found that very useful.