Al is correct. Once it finds an Application.cfm, it stops looking.
And, it will continue to traverse up the directory tree to find one,
beyond the web root all the way to the drive root. (At least that's
what they say in "the book". I haven't tried it.) An Application.cfc
will take precedence. If an Application.cfc is found, no search for
Application.cfm is performed.

Cheers,
Kris