> The theory
> is solid but the question is, will doing an async read on a
> DVD drive where there may be dozens and even hundreds of
> async directory reads going on be detrimental to the drive or
> any hardware?

How is the theory solid? You will be sending multiple read requests to a
device with only one read head.

It stikes me that doing a directory scan asynchronously on a device with
only one head is going to put extra stress on the hardware and could well be
slower than doing a single threaded recursive scan due to the extra head
movements required as it moves from 1 request to the next. Given this, I'd
expect an async scan if performed regularly to significantly reduce the life
expectancy of the drive mechanism.

Now, if you were talking about reading data from a RAID array say RAID 5 or
RAID 0+1 then you would probably see significant performance gains from the
code as you have multiple heads reading the data for multiple requests
simultaneously... This would be very neat!

Paul