Maybe there are some possible solutions using flash forms or something
outside the bounds of the normal <input> tag...

-Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Casey C Cook [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:03 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: File attachment after user error

Once again Ive run into one of those "seems so easy, yet its so hard"
situations.

Basically, a user has the ability to attach up to 3 files on a form
<input
type = file>. If the user throws an error, such as forgetting to input a

required field, the form will submit and go through validation.cfm since

they didnt pass the validation they will come back to the submission
screen. The problem is, I know the user has input/attached a file, but
browser security prevents me from populating the input field with the
previous entry. Does anyone know a good way around this? I want to keep
all the same logic in place, just be able to somehow recognize the user
has already made the effort to attach the file and be able to submit
that
information after they correct their error. So far we have discussed
many
other solutions which will work, but require a coding effort greater
than
what should seem so easy - populate the freaking value the user has
entered previously. Seems like I run across one of these scenario's once

every six months and just wonder why things seem so easy when talking
about it, but next to impossible in practice. Ive spent way too much
time
on this, any input would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,
Casey Cook

written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use
of
e-mail for such purpose.