Ah. I forgot that it's only in cfoutput you need to worry aobut ##s. Duh!

The idea about the tracker link was to insert it in the .html pages,
vs. changing the .html pages to .cfm.

Thus, funpage.html has a img link to "tracker.cfm", so each time the
..html page is loaded, there is a request to the tracker page.

But John has a good point (maybe already addressed):
Why not use a stat program?  There are plenty out there that will
parse the server logs and give nifty graphs and whatnot for all
resources, cf or no.

Is that not an option?
:den