Not sure how much I missed in the thread but:

Did you specifically limit sql server to use 1 cpu?
Are you using a version of SQL server that only supports 1 cpu such as Sql
2005 express.
It's possible that the tasks you're doing are not able to run multithreaded
(i.e. only 1 thread can read 8 gigs of stuff into memory, insert into table,
etc..).  If you split up the files and run separate transactions (If
possible), you might be able to speed up the task and achieve greater cpu
utilization.

Russ