>If you used Verity in CF 5, did you use the K2 engine or the VDK engine? The
>K2 engine is much better in many respects, and if I recall correctly, CFMX
>6.x uses K2 instead of VDK.

I don't realy recall any specific choice that I made. K2 sounds the most
familiar, but that may be because it's used in later versions of CF.

>If you want to search PDFs using SQL Server's full-text functionality, you
>can do that with a little work:
>
>http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2611

Interesting link, I'll look into that.

>However, I don't know how well that works with large numbers of PDF
>documents, since I haven't done it myself. If not for the PDF part, I'd
>unhesitatingly recommend SQL Server full-text indexing over Verity.

Well the thing that bugs me the most of the SQL Server full-text search is the
fact that it doesn't search on parts of words. I can't really think of a good
example in English, but Dutch works just as well (only you don't understand the
words):

Take these three words that appear in texts of different pages: zetel, zetels,
restzetel(s).

Now if you search for 'zetel' you are presented with the pages with 'zetel' and
'zetels' if you use a prefix (*) notation in your CONTAINS. However restzetel
or restzetels does not come up at all.

LIKE '%zetel%' would of course yield all of these results, which is a desired
result, but of course I would like a ranking kinda like this: zetel > zetels >
restzetel > restzetels.

Well.. that being said, I guess I'll have to look into verity again. See if the
results are somewhat better this time. Thanks for your response.