However James Ive never actually done what your requesting myself, if it
works I'd love to know heh ;)

I have used cross server joins before on MSSQL 2000 servers and the
performance was so bad I had to take it out.  I eventually had to call a
proc on the second server to gather data, and then pass the result set
back to first server which I dumped into a temp table and THEN joined my
stuff to it.  It was a pain, but it performed a few thousand times
better.  I really think we had some configuration awry somewhere
though...