On 6 Sep 2006, at 12:45, Rick Root wrote:

> You are probably right - but for 1000 records, 145KB of data, and it
> only occurs once per year (I think that's what he said), it's probably
> not worth the effort.

True. I thought we were talking about a jazillion rows.

I have a similar requirement for one of my projects -- to generate a
batch of a few hundred thousand serial numbers and do a bulk import
to PostgreSQL. The serial numbers are appended to a CSV flat file as
they are created. I use the native psql program and a bit of shell
scripting to bring them into the appropriate table. It takes far
longer to generate the serial numbers with a PRNG than it does to
copy them to the database, but less time than it takes to get another
cup of coffee.

--
Joseph Lamoree