>Other than that, I would somehow split the file names into manageable
>lists.  Not really paging, but something that shows all files that begin
>with the letter "A" and so on.
>
>There must be a way you can break up the list a bit.

I've run into this with a couple customers of CFWebstore, which I believe is
the image manager Ray is talking about. I've not found a good solution to it
yet. The image manager includes an upload function as well as a panel to browse
the directory and select a current image on the server, as well as change to a
subdirectory or create a new one. The cfoutput is not the limiting
factor...it's the cfdirectory tag. Once you get a few thousand files in there,
it really slows down and the next tag that the page request hits (cfoutput)
ends up throwing a timeout error. So paging through the results really isn't
going to resolve the problem. While I can certainly up the timeout for the
page, it doesn't really correct the underlying issue of the dreadfully slow
cfdirectory tag. Users don't want to have to wait 1-2 minutes just to select
their image. What I would *like* is if there was a quick way to find out how
many files are in the directory, and if there are too many, just output an
error message instead. The problem is that even if there was a way to do this,
I would still need to do a cfdirectory call to get the subdirectories...unless
there is some way to use the filter to *only* retrieve the subdirectories? I'd
love to know if there are any good work-arounds for this. In the meantime I'll
just keep advising people to try and be sure their clients don't dump all their
files into one single image directory. ;-)

Mary Jo Sminkey
http://www.cfwebstore.com
CFWebstore, ColdFusion E-commerce