The variables scope, when used within a CFC, is a protected private
scope (only accessible from within the CFC). Within the head of your
object (after the cfcomponent tag, but prior to any functions) you may
have a block like this:

<cfscript>
variables.instance = structnew();
variables.instance.firstname = "";
variables.instance.lastname = "";
variables.instance.age = 0;
</cfscript>

Then you might have an init method like this:

<cffunction name="init" access="public" output="false"
returntype="person" hint="This initializes your person object">
<cfreturn this>
</cffunction>

You would then get or set the properties of your object using getter and
setter methods, which can access the private variables scope:

<cffunction name="setFirstName" access="public" output="false"
returntype="void" hint="Sets the firstname property of this instance">
<cfargument name="firstname" type="string" required="true"
hint="firstname to set in this instance of person">
<cfset variables.instance.firstname = arguments.firstname>
</cffunction>

<cffunction name="getFirstName" access="public" output="false"
returntype="string" hint="Returns the firstname of this person instance">
<cfreturn variables.instance.firstname>
</cffunction>

So, within your calling template you might have:

<cfset variables.personObj = createobject("component","person").init()>

After which, the following attempt to access it's properties would
fail/error:

#variables.personObj.firstname#

But using this would give you access:

#variables.personObj.getFirstName()#