To sound off here,

All of the points above are very valid.  I've used Mach-II pretty heavily now
for a while and MG:U to varying degrees and I really see where the frameworks
add value. All three Front Controller frameworks ( Model Glue, MachII and
Fusebox) are quite solid and are worth learning.

I am decidedly framework agnostic. I choose to use a framework now even if I am
the only developer on a small app. While frameworks sort of 'force' certain
solutions to problems, this is actually a feature, not a bug and is quite nice
when making enhancements or bug-fixes to your application later on. As
mentioned above, some of the frameworks offer different features, but all of
them will help organize your code in an easy to understand manner.

To Peters point, some of the problems solved by the frameworks ( M2, MG, CS,
Reactor,  Transfer, Etc) are indeed not completely obvious before you have
taken the plunge into OO ColdFusion. Dependency resolution ( by ColdSpring)
doesn't seem to be a major pain until your app has some complexity around it.
When you do run into dependency problems, ColdSpring is a godsend.

Same with the ORMs ( a la Reactor / Transfer ) . Pulling and Persisting
information in a database is a vital application task. It is a problem that has
been solved in various degrees by the ORM tools and helps get on with the meat
of the application, the rules and other important logic. Give Transfer and
Reactor a shot. Each has a nice blog sample application to toy with. You can
immediately see the benefits of using an ORM in your application.

Being a coder who had your very same questions at one point, let me offer a few
suggestions (gained from my blood sweat and tears ):

1) Get familiar with http://www.fullasagoog.com/index.cfm?blogcat=ColdFusionMX
There is a wealth of very important information catalogued there.

2) Get familiar with www.google.com. If you run into a sticky problem whilst
learning, you can be assured someone else ran into it also and there is
probably a blog post or two about it somewhere.

3) Download sample apps and customize the mess out of them. You will break and
fix plenty of things and this really accelerates the learning process.  I
definately learn more from looking at others' code than I do my own.

4) Yes, it does seem like you are writing a ton more code. This will prove its
value
soon enough. I've added and removed whole new features / functions to
applications with a single line of XML. OO CF, especially with a framework,
seems like an indirect solution to the problem at hand compared with
straight-line .cfm page coding.

5) There is no *right* answer usually. There are, however, some guiding
principles and a whole lot of tradeoffs. If you aren't sure which way to go,
try it one way and then
another.

6) All the major frameworks have very active mailing lists. There is a wealth
of information in the archives and batallions of helpful coders out there ready
to lend a hand.

7) Yes, you will want to bang your head at times. And Yes, it gets easier.....

Dan Wilson