"Building an audit system just to be able to point fingers sounds a
little
over the top."

Not necessarily.  In my application we keep history tables out the wazoo
because our executives upstairs want to keep track of everything--
especially things concerning money.  Fraud prevention is one motive, but
we generally just don't trust users to NOT screw things up, even if it
is well within their security permissions for them to have performed
their action.  (we have tons of security restrictions too)

Even if we have an employee whose is the certified check printer for our
company, it basically comes to down us still not trusting them.

And it doesn't always have to be about fraud-- sometimes people will
blame our application for screwing up an order, and then we will
research and find out it was their own fault.  That has nothing to do
with permissions really, but just tracking what each user has done to
the database.

~Brad