Scott,
As Dave said, if you're using a Flash/Flex form you will need to use
Actionscript to control any form elements.   The .swf file which is
generated to create the form cannot be accessed through the
javascript DOM.

For what you want to do, you can just include the AS function in the
form element.   I think something like this is what you're looking for:

<cfinput type="text" name="myinput" id="myinput" value=""
onFocus="myinput.text=''" />

-Jon