Minus the www

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Lyons [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:36 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Coldfusion Zip Code Store Locator

i just did one www.rossreelsworldwide.com/dealers/dealers_usa.cfm
What you do depends on how accurate you want it to be.

If you just get a db of zipcodes, lat & lon and add the formula it wont be
very accurate. Since the lat & lon is based upon the center of the zipcode
and zipcodes and be quite large (30-50 miles across sometimes). So if the
user is in one corner of his zipcode and the store is in the opposite corner
of its zipcode and they are ajoining zipcodes they could be lets say 70
miles apart but your dealor locator will say its about 15 miles, which is
just a bit off.

To really do it even somewhat accurately you nned to get the actual lat and
lon of at least the dealers address. Thats what i did, so mines still a bit
off but they didnt want to ask the users for their actual address to get an
exact distance.

what i did was have it send a request to google with the address (cfhttp) an
parse the results to get lat & lon and update the dealers table to give the
correct location lat & lon & then I was also able to use that to get a
accurate google map as well. However, if the address in not "normal" it will
have a hard time getting correct location, ex: google will puke on an
address like 123 sw That st building 4 suite 44. I havent implemented this
yet but to counter that we are implementing a 2nd dealer address that we
will use for geocoding so we'd make that address 123 sw that st and it will
work fine.