"Unfortunately, I can see the writing on the wall for CF unless Adobe
adopts a DRAMATIC pricing reduction strategy. Plain and simply put, with
..NET and Mono in the market, CF can no longer increase market share
whilst continuing to maintain / increase their pricing. They're not the
only game in town and they need to start acting like it."

I usually don't chime in on these predictions since they are usually
just "gut feelings".

But, several people at my location NEVER thought our AS400 would go
away, but guess what?  It sure the heck is.  It's even being replaced by
such proprietary software that it actually makes Microsoft appear to be
open-source.

I wish I could recall how many years (a decade, I guess) that CF has
been declared to be "on its way out".

Interestingly enough, we installed some .Net apps recently and although
they are pretty good, there are quite a few bugs brought forth by the
..Net framework.  They are slower than Blackboard (a slow-ass beast in
its own way) and they have too many prerequisites on the OS.

Of course, I'm generalizing on the .Net bashing, but that's what
everyone else does with CF and PHP and Java.

I will agree that I think Adobe should better market CF.  I don't think
the cost is that big of an issue.  Take a look at IBM's WebSphere.  It's
terribly expensive, but they still sell that product.  They just do a
better job at marketing the app server.

My wish:  From now on, let this list be limited to CF support and
technologies.  Let us never hear another word that CF is dead/dying.
When Michael D shuts this list down, then we will worry.

M!ke