> If I remove the DISTINCT constraint it returns 2732 rows in
> under a second. How can it posibly take so long to remove the
> duplicates?

This kind of operation is almost always significantly slower. Your query can
take advantage of indexes, but DISTINCT requires an examination of
individual values. Your execution plan will tell you why in more detail.

> What can I do to speed this up as it is a requirement but
> 1:15 is unacceptable.

I don't know if there's much you can do, but your execution plan should give
you some hints if there is. Otherwise, just for comparison, you might try
filtering the records in CF instead of SQL.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/