Tim,

I'm not entirely clear on where you're testing for empty fields,
whether it is in the SQL in your query, or whether you are checking
the field after the query has returned. So here's my 2 cents:

If it's inside the SQL, you can't compare the field name to an empty
string with IS NOT, you must use equals (=), OR if you are comparing
to NULL, then you would use the IS NOT like so:

select field1, field2 from table1
where field1!=""

OR

select field1, field2 from table1
where field1 is not NULL

If you're checking field content in coldfusion after the query has
returned, then it would be something like this:

<cfif queryname.field1 neq "">blah blah blah</cfif>

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Kris