Doug,

There's no reason that you should need to add any kind of logic to "expire"
an auction. You especially would not need to do anything in your
Application.cfm/Application.cfc. When a user views an auction, just check
the auction end date/time against the current date/time, and if the end date
has already passed, set some kind of a flag:

ie. <cfset isAuctionFinished = dateCompare( now(), auction_end_date ) EQ 1
/>

That's it. All you have to do at that point is just check in your code if
the auction is finished, and take the necessary action based on that. I am
leaving out tons of implementation specific details, and of course you'ld
want to validate your data, but the general idea is that you just check if
the auction is finished whenever a user views it. You're having to retrieve
that auction data anyways, so what's the big deal in adding one extra check
to see if it's finished? I don't see any reason to run a scheduled job when
it's not a problem to do the check in real time.

As for the preferred payment, why not give the seller the opportunity to do
both things you talked about? In their profile, let them choose a preferred
method, but at the same time, give them the option to use a different method
on a per-auction basis.

- Justin