> As of the 1.5 standard, I don't believe JavaScript
> (ECMAScript, whatever) included a "value" property for form
> elements.

Well, strictly speaking, this isn't a JavaScript thing as much as an HTML
DOM thing. It's up to the DOM to specify what's what in the browser. In the
case of SELECT fields:

http://www.w3schools.com/htmldom/dom_obj_select.asp

According to this, the VALUE attribute is available for SELECT, and is
writeable. I've never tried to do this, though. I still refer to the values
of options through the options array, because originally that was the only
thing that would work in both Netscape and IE.

> If anyone decides to do some more testing on this, I'd be
> interested in knowing if the form element's value is
> read/write or read only.  I would suspect that it's read only
> but it would be interesting to find out what happens if you
> try to write to the property.

If the above URL is correct, it's writeable. Again, though, if I want to
change an option's value, I just delete and recreate the option using the
Option constructor.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/