>Does using this syntax actually do a "search" of the custom1 field, or
>just filter on exact matches?

I'm not sure I understand exactly the distinction you're trying to draw, but
I'll answer what I think your question might be. As I've written those examples
(with the backticks around the strings), Verity will be looking for an exact
match.

If you're asking, "can I do field searches that still benefit from the
stemming, etc. that Verity applies to regular search words?" then... I'm not
sure. For example, if you put a set of keywords in custom2, and wanted to do
something like:
  cf_custom2:important cf_custom2:search cf_custom2:terms

We haven't really needed to do that. Certainly, in explicit syntax, you have
exact control over the search operators you're applying to those fields. In the
internet syntax, I would *think* that the word would be treated the same
whether body or a field, but I haven't really tested it. (And my guesses about
reasonable behavior have certainly been wrong plenty of times with regard to CF
and Verity.)

Sixten