Thanks for your followup.  I didn't, by the way, set the BOM in
Dreamweaver;  when I used BBEdit, however, I saved the file as "UTF-8
without BOM signature" and it *still* worked.

BBEdit also warned me everytime I opened a Dreamweaver-created
"UTF-encoded" file that the UTF-8 was corrupt and that I should
proceed with caution.

Grr. Dreamweaver. *shakes fist*

Inger