Here is my error handling function: I think I'm right in saying that
without those additional lines, cfabort (if it's anywhere in your
script) will set off an error, and this way, ending the session or
application won't trigger said script either..
ps - I'm a complete newbie, so I may be way off mark with this...

<cffunction name="onError" returntype="void" output="true">
                         <cfargument name="exception" required="yes"/>
                         <cfargument name="eventName" type="string"
required="yes"/>
                         <cfif
StructKeyExists(arguments.exception.RootCause,"type") AND
arguments.exception.RootCause.type EQ
"coldfusion.runtime.AbortException">
                                     <cfreturn/>
                         </cfif>
                         <cfif EventName NEQ "onApplicationEnd" AND
EventName
NEQ "onSessionEnd">
                                     <cfmail to="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
from="Oxalto Error Handling"  subject="Error: Brabant Ensemble"
type="html">
                                                 <cfif
IsDefined("variables.error")><cfdump var="#variables.error#"
label="Error
Variables"/></cfif>          <cfdump
var="#arguments.exception#" label="Exception Variables"/>
                                                 <cfdump var="#CGI#"
label="CGI Variables"/>     <cfdump var="#application#"
label="Application">
</cfmail>
                   <!--- message--->
                                     <cfoutput>
                                     <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//
DTD XHTML
1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; lang="en">
                                    <head>
content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
                                                 body {font:75%/140%
Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif;text-align:center;}
                                                 h1 {font-
weight:normal;}
                                                 a {color:##39c;
text-decoration:none;}
                                                 a:hover
{text-decoration:underline;}
                                                 ##container {margin:20%
auto;width: 50%;           text-align:left;}
                                     <title>Fooe</title>

                                     </head>

                                                             <h1>An
Error has
Occured</h1>

problem persists, please contact our <a
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Webmaster</a>.</p>
                                     </cfoutput>
                         </cfif>
             </cffunction>