Brian,

>Not sure there is much to do be on this question but never know.
>
>We use seefusion to keep an eye on threads and lately the site has been
>getting hit hard, what I see in seefusion though is that the same
>request person is holding up 20 threads and the requests are within
>seconds of each other at times.  So what is happening is they get a slow
>page and then start to jam on the refresh button a ton of times causing
>more threads and creating a bottleneck and eventually eating up all the
>threads.
>
>Any suggestions on something like this?

Well I'm sure you'll get a fair share of "fix your code" comments ;), the
bottom line is there are occasionally times when you'll write a poor
performing template (i.e. a seldom run report year-to-date report, etc.)

Obviously if this is a page that is accessed a lot, I'd look into caching
the results to improve performance. If it's not a page that need to be in
realtime, look into pre-caching the page (generate the cache at some
pre-determined interval and the page can only view from the cached data.)

However, if caching isn't an option, one thing I've done for report
generation in the past is create a report lock that prevents the report from
being run again until the original process finishes.

If the report is still running and the user tries to re-access the page, you
just display a "This report is still processing" message. You can then have
the page refresh every XX number of seconds checking to see if the report is
done.

This does involve writing the report to disk or storing in a persistent
memory scope--so that when the report is done you can display it from a
different thread other than the one that originally created the results.

-Dan