Jon,
  We signed up for the AvaTax API service and have been trying to get
the service to work via object instantiation etc but have failed to
make a successful connection. We keep getting errors about the
certificate.

We are trying to get this service to work for a jewelry retailer which
is based in TN. The TN tax rates are really a pita to implement (lots
of math and other crap). We were hoping the avatax api would allow us
to pass in a product with it's current price and get back the tax to
be charged for that item.

does your tag help with this? i have a 4pm (est) call with Rick and
the java developer to talk about our issues.

thanks for reaching out!
Eric