Pete,

I actually have a free tool (DataMgr) that does this (among other things).

http://www.bryantwebconsulting.com/presentations.cfm
http://www.bryantwebconsulting.com/cfcs/

Call the getDatabaseTables() method to get the non-system tables.
Call the getDBTableStruct(tablename) to get information about the columns in a
table.

As recommended by Microsoft, the methods use the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views
instead of the sys tables (the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views will be supported going
forward but the sys tables may not).

For example, SQL for getDatabaseTables() is:
SELECT  Table_Name
FROM    INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES
WHERE   Table_Type = 'BASE TABLE'
AND     Table_Name <> 'dtproperties'

HTH,

Steve Bryant
Bryant Web Consulting LLC
http://www.BryantWebConsulting.com/
http://steve.coldfusionjournal.com/

PS - DataMgr will work for Access, SQL Server, MySQL, PostGreSQL. I can add
support for other databases if only I can get access to test on them.