BTW, just cleaning out my inbox - thought I'd share the answer I found.

The problem was in MS Exchange Server.  I sent the same email to my
gmail account and my Exchange account.  The gmail account displayed
properly; the Exchange account puked out the subject line.  I don't
know why it didn't occur to me earlier to take the POP server into
account.

I'm still working with the mail server guy to set up the server to
support multilanguages, as I'm sure this won't be the last time we
need to deal with the Japanese language.

Anyway, heads up.

inger