+1.  The things I can do because of mod_rewrite and mod_proxy alone are
worth using apache.  IIS should technically be faster because it runs as a
kernel process, I believe, but these days it doesn't matter.  As was said
many times, both apache and IIS can saturate the network connection using
any recent pc.  The performance is really going to depend on the backend
tool you use, and if you don't use .NET, there is no point running IIS.
Apache is FAR more configurable, and has a lot more FREE modules that let
you do amazing things.

For example: Let say you want to have your development server available
externally, over port 80.  Your isp blocks port 80.  How would you solve
this with IIS?  With apache you can just set up a virtual site on your
production server and have it proxy the content from your dev server over a
different port.

Russ