How about this:

you can either make a blank page called index.cfm
that does this:
<script language = "javascript">

if (navigator.javaEnabled() == "0")

{

location = "index2.cfm?java=0"

}
else
{
location = "index2.cfm?java=1"
}
 <noscript>
 </noscript>

</script>

and then on the second page check the variable #java# with a case of
statement

or do it on the same page (like a refresh) then check if the variable #java#
is defined then do a case of statement